Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bun B On J. Cole's "Bun B For President" & Top 7 Rap Albums of 2010



The dope unfinished Cole record that dropped last week was meant for Trill OG. Bun B sheds some light on the record.

“I never could figure out how to approach the record. It almost sounded crazy for me to say ‘Bun B For President,’” Bun B told VIBE recently of the leak. “It was an incredible song. I really loved the track, which J. Cole produced as well. I originally talked to him about a beat and he was like, ‘Oh I got music all day. Would you mind if I sent you something with a verse on it.’ I’m like, ‘I wasn’t even gon’ go there but by all means…’ And when he sent it, all we did all day was sit around and listen to that song, like, ‘Do you hear this? What do you do to this? I don’t even know what to do to this.’ So it was just something that we had to put to the side.”

“That’s one of the few songs that I wasn’t able to just attack. I hated that I couldn’t figure out how to do it,” says Bun, adding that he didn’t leak the record himself. “That shows how ahead of the game [Cole] is. Most of the songs I hear, people will tell you I jumped in on it. That one I took my time with and I was like, ‘You know what, we’re gonna wait on this record. We’re gonna sit on it until I know exactly how to present it.”

“Now that it’s out there, I kinda feel like I have to do something,” says the Houston rapper. “So don’t be surprised if you here something on it in the next couple days. I got a better understanding now how to approach it than I did when I got it, now when I see how the public reacted to it. ’Cause I didn’t want to come off too cocky, like, ‘I’m the shit.’”


My list is pretty much similar to his. Except for Fat Joe's. Even though that album isn't bad.

1. Eminem - Recovery
“I didn’t think that a person who had already given up as much as his personal life could make a record even more personal. Nobody is as honest a person in music than Eminem.”

2. Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
“I think initially everybody was excited about the album primarily because Nas was doing another album and I don’t think people were giving Damian Marley enough credit as an artist, but he more than held his own on this album. And Distant Relatives is a great album, not because Nas is great, but because Nas and Damian are both great.”

3. Curren$y - Pilot Talk
“It’s a good album to sit back and [mellow] down to and I spend a lot of my time doing that.”

4. Drake - Thank Me Later
“Almost as many people love him as hate him. I think Drake maintains himself pretty well given the pressure he’s under. A lot of people wouldn’t have been able to deal with being Drake but Drake does a good job of being Drake. A lot of cats would have folded under that pressure.”

5. Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot: Son of Chico dusty
“I feel like ‘General Patton’ from Big Boi is one of the best beats this year.”

6. Fat Joe - The Darkside
“‘I’m Gone’ by DJ Premier, that’s a real record.”

7. Rick Ross - Teflon Don

No comments:

About

Created October 2009 - All music is for promotional use only. I do not own any of the other material featured on this blog. Unless it was made myself