Friday, December 10, 2010

2010: Mixtapes of The Year


Don't ask me why I put this picture up, but after the jump you can check my list of mixtapes of the year. I'll continue with the end of the year posts next friday. Sidebar: iPods are not bulletproof.


10. Joe Budden : Mood Muzik 4 - The slaughterhouse emcee dropped this tape back in November. The lyrics expressed on this tape are so meaningful and deep. The mellow beats capture the whole tone of each track. Definitely not a party tape but if you want to hear something real it's always a good listen. Best songs: "Black Cloud", "Remember The Titans", "No Idea".



9. Asher Roth : Seared Foie Gras With Quince And Cranberry - I still don't understand the title. I guess it's in French. Simply, Mr. Roth rapping over some of his favorite beats. Dope though. Best songs: "Sour Patch Kids (rmx) f. Talib Kweli & Blu", "Muddy Swim Trunks".



8. Curren$y : Smokee Robinson - I bet with the two albums he dropped this year you probably forgot that he also dropped a mixtape. "Smokee Robinson" dropped the night after the Superbowl. The beat selection for the tape is great. I think I bumped this the whole day when it dropped. Best songs: "Audio Dope", "I Don't Fucks With Em f. Nipsey Hussle & Wiz Khalifa", "Smash On O'Leary".



7. The Cool Kids : Tacklebox - Chuck Inglish beats sound crazy in a car. I just like their style and the tape was definitely above average. Front to back I can bump this. Best Songs: "Fishing Lessons", "Freak City", "So Neat".



6. Wale : More About Nothing - Wale made my list last year with "Back To The Feature" this time around he makes it again. Another Seinfeld themed mixtape with skits from the show. Real good from track to track. A lot of good songs. Best Songs: "The Breeze f. Wiz Khalifa", "The Number Won", "The Break Up Song".



5. Kendrick Lamar: Overly Dedicated - Now we're getting into my favorites of the year. I didn't pay Kendrick Lamar any attention until this tape dropped. Kendrick Lamar has a different style that took some getting used to but he's definitely one to watch. Best songs: "Growing Apart", "Michael Jordan", "The Heart Pt.2", "She Needs Me (rmx)", "I Do This (rmx)".



4. Pac Div: Don't Mention It - It took me a month to actually listen to this tape, but I've been playing it ever since. Usually in hip hop groups there is one good rapper everyone in this group can spit. I'm definitely checking for their next project. Best songs: "Don't Forget The Swishers", "Rollin'", "Broccoli", "Waves At The Prom".




3. J. Cole: Friday Night Lights - Did not expect J. Cole to drop another mixtape this year. But this tape came together quickly. Not as good as "The Warm Up" but one of the best of the year. It came out last month so it's still kind of new to me. Best Songs: "You Got It", "Home For The Holidays", "In The Morning" "Before I'm Gone"



2. Big Sean: Finally Famous 3 - My personal most anticipated mixtape of the year, and it delivered. Sean provides freestyles over classic beats with original tracks that sound like album singles. Hopefully, "Finally Famous" the album drops soon. Best Songs: "Five Bucks (5 On It)", "Fat Raps (rmx)", "What You Doin'", "Supa Dupa Lemonade", "Ambiguous", "Too Fake", "Love Song".



1. Wiz Khalifa: Kush & Orange Juice - For someone who only talks about smoking weed and taking other dude's girls he sure talks about well. I still chill to this when I can. He put this out in April or March (I can't remember) and it shut down Twitter. Literally, it was the trending topic even on Google. Front to back a banger had to burn a copy of this. Best Songs: "Mezmorized", "Spotlight", "The Kid Frankie", "Never Been", "In The Cut", "Glass House".


Honorable Mentions: Fabolous - There Is No Competition 2, Mac Miller - K.I.D.S, Tyga - Black Thoughts.

No comments:

About

Created October 2009 - All music is for promotional use only. I do not own any of the other material featured on this blog. Unless it was made myself