Sunday, November 21, 2010

Curren$y - Pilot Talk 2 (Album Review)

Currensy - Pilot Talk 2 Download

It's that time again. A new review from me for Curren$y's fourth album "Pilot Talk 2". It seems as if he took the sounds of his previous three albums (This Ain't No Mixtape, Jet Files, & Pilot Talk) and blended the sounds together. Album is a solid from front to back. Lyrically Spitta did a better job on this than he did on Pilot Talk. No skippers. Even though it lacks the mainstream appeal and features that Pilot Talk provided. It also is too short for my liking. But overall a solid album.

1. Airborne Aquarium - Dope way to start off an album. Real chill, and then the beat comes in and Spitta kills it. "Before I got on this beat, it made out a bucket list". 8/10
2. Michael Knight (Prod. By Ski Beatz) - I was skeptical of this joint when it first came out. But it's grown on me. Probably my favorite song to put on in the car late at night. The whole vibe of the song is from the old TV Show "Knight Rider". The main characters name can be heard on the hook. 8.5/10
3. Montreux - Nothing more than beat with a long verse. Nothin special. Sounds like a mixtape track. 7/10
4. Famous (Prod. By Monsta Beatz) - A different version of this song was released about a year ago. But this version is much better. One of my favorites from the album. Beat is real smooth. 8/10
5. Flight Briefing (Feat. Young Roddy & Trademark Da Skydiver) - Another good song. Something I will be bumping in the morning. Young Roddy & Trademark provide the first two guest verses on the album and both kill it. 8/10
6. A Gee - Sounds like something I've heard before from him. Still dope. Nothing special but solid. 7/10
7. Real Estates (Feat. Dom Kennedy) - Average track. Even though Dom Kennedy comes through with a dope verse. Not a big fan of the beat. 6.5/10
8. Silence (Feat. McKenzie Eddy) (Prod. By Ski Beatz) - Probably my personal favorite track on the album. Vocals are beautiful. Production is amazing. Curren$y comes right. Only problem is that it's too short. 9/10
9. Hold On (Feat. Young Roddy & Trademark Da Skydiver) - Beat has a funky sound to it. But it's nice. Once again Roddy & Trademark come through with dope verses to add to Spitta. 7.5/10
10. Fashionably Late (Prod. By Monsta Beatz) - Second favorite track from the album. Hook is nice. Beat is classic. Spitta comes off dope. He needs to make a video for this. "I guess yall can kick it, Phife Dawg, Q-Tip and we all Souls of Mischief." 9/10
11. Highed Up - Nothing really special about this joint. Sounds like a mixtape track. 6.5/10
12. O.G… (The Jar) (Feat. Fiend) - Another good song to play late at night. Sounds like a song that should have came out in the 90's. "Watch for the hook, Spitta give it to you just in time, On trees like an ornament at Christmas time." 8/10
13. Michael Knight (Remix) (Feat. Raekwon) - Nothing new here on the remix besides a new verse from Raekwon. I wish he would have ended the album in a better way. 9/10


Overall, the album earns a final grade of a B-/C+. I'm definitely becoming a tougher grader though. I grade albums for front to back quality not just on one or two great tracks. Just wait till you see the grade I'll give Nicki when I finally get around to reviewing "Pink Friday".

No comments:

About

Created October 2009 - All music is for promotional use only. I do not own any of the other material featured on this blog. Unless it was made myself